By Annie Kearns
The Global Positioning System (GPS), which was first introduced in the early 1970s, has become a hot topic these days. GPS tracking has a wide array of applications today, from tracking the whereabouts of children, caring for old and sick people, to monitoring the activities of employees. Although a number of ethical and legal questions are raised against the violation of privacy, these devices continue to thrive in the market for its distinct advantages.
The Global Positioning System (GPS)
The GPS technology has a far-reaching impact on our society. GPS devices, which are designed as wearable tools, can be put on as bracelets or pendants. These lightweight devices can also be attached to the clothes. The tracking records can be accessed by connecting to the internet via SIM cards or Wi-Fi. Although a number of devices are available with the Bluetooth option, most of them come with built-in SIM cards. Users can track these GPS devices from their smartphones and tablets by installing the relevant software.
GPS and Privacy
Despite the growing popularity of GPS tracking devices, a considerable section of the society harbors resentment for these devices. Many people fail to appreciate the advantages of such devices. Whether it is delivery tracking or monitoring family members and friends, there are several privacy concerns. Cases involving illegal stalking and abusing critical data cannot be overlooked. Tracking information can be exploited by people to harass individuals. Furthermore, these devices can ruin the personal relationships and weaken family ties. So, discernibly, the privacy concerns cannot be entirely ruled out.
GPS Tracking Devices for Families/Friends: An Invaluable Tool for Safety
Having talked about the privacy issues that are associated with these sorts of gadgets, one cannot simply deny its advantages. GPS tracking machines, when used responsibly, help offer protection to individuals. This is especially true for personal application – many families are accessing these devices to cater to the needs of their loved ones, promoting harmony in personal relationships. Let’s have a look at some of the useful applications of these tracking devices in promoting the safety of families and friends.
- Tracing the Whereabouts of Family Members/ Friends: Nowadays, GPS tracking is becoming popular for tracking the whereabouts of family members and friends. From enabling parents to find their missing child to keep a track of a loved one’s whereabouts, GPS tracking can help people ease their anxieties. These devices, which come with a simple technology, are fairly easy to operate. People can have access to the whereabouts of their loved ones with a few simple clicks and be assured of their safety.
- Caring for Elderly People: It is not always easy to provide care to elderly people. Sometimes it is difficult to take out time from the busy schedule to find out about their health and whereabouts. GPS tracking devices can provide all the necessary information about their whereabouts, enabling the user to cater to their requirements. In addition to this, users can keep track of the movements of the elderly people to monitor their activities. This will enable users to identify any unusual behaviour and assist them to take necessary steps.
- Monitoring Individuals with Special Needs: People who are specially-abled require special care. For instance, autistic individuals or people with ADHD can get easily distracted and take the wrong route. They might not always be particular with directions. Family members can employ the wearable devices to observe their movements from a distance.
These days, some of these devices have sound-tracing technology that allows family members to listen to the voices of the concerned individuals. This assists them to detect the slightest tension in their voice. These people often become a soft target for bullying and harassment for their vulnerabilities. Guardians and relatives can keep a track of these people and take important actions to prevent harassments.
- Successful Parenting: With the advancement in technology, parenting has become a huge challenge these days. From cyber crimes to bullying on the campus, kids face several critical issues. Parents and guardians can monitor the behaviour and movements of their children to protect them from such perils. Additionally, parents can track the whereabouts of their kids and take certain disciplinary actions to prevent them to make mistakes. They can also warn children against rash driving and ensure their safety.
- Caring for Relatives and Friends: With life turning exceedingly fast-paced, it is not always possible to stay connected with friends and families. These beneficial devices can definitely assist users to stay updated with the latest developments, allowing them to sustain their relationships with the relatives.
Privacy is undeniably a major concern when it comes to the application of GPS tracking devices. When proper steps are taken to eliminate these challenges, these devices can be a boon to users, helping them lend protection to their kith and kin against all types of security challenges.