We buckle our kids up safe when we drive. We lessen our driving distractions and use our GPS. All of these actions help reduce anxiety while we drive. How much thought do we really give to our insurance?
Besides figuring out a way to save money on it, do you know what your insurance does and does not cover? The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has some helpful tips to make road trips easier on your mind.
Here are 5 tips for a stress-free summer road trip
1. Confirm your car insurance is active and premiums are up-to-date. Have a current copy of your insurance card in the car.
2. Check to see if your policy includes roadside assistance. You can be covered for towing, fuel delivery, lockout service, jump-starts and more.
3. If renting a car, check if your current policy includes coverage, and verify limitations with your agent. Some credit cards offer rental coverage, so check with your credit card company to determine if that is an option.
4. If rental car coverage is not included in your policy, consider adding an insurance rider for a small fee or purchasing coverage from the rental car company. Make sure you don’t duplicate benefits from your existing auto, health or home insurance policy.
5. Verify your homeowners or renters insurance covers the theft of personal items from a car, especially if you are planning to carry expensive items in your car such as golf clubs, video or digital cameras or laptops.
Don’t just assume your insurance will cover you if something happens. It would be a terrible thing to have something bad happen and not be financially covered. You can find out more information from Auto.InsureUonline.org.
One lucky MamaDweeb reader will win a $50 Shell gas card!
Required Entry: (must be done first or entry will not count)
Tell me where you drove to this summer!
Extra Entries: (1 each unless specified, leave a separate comment for each thing you do)
- Subscribe to Mama Dweeb via e-mail 2 extra entries! (leave 2 comments!)
- Like Mama Dweeb on Facebook – 2 extra entries! (leave 2 comments!)
- Follow Mama Dweeb via Google Friend Connect
- Follow Mama Dweeb on Twitter and Tweet this giveaway. (Limit 2 tweets per day, at least 1 hr apart, leave URL of your tweet in comment)
You may use this as your tweet or click the Tweet Button above the post
Learn 5 #carinsurance tips and #win $50 gas card from @MamaDweeb http://bit.ly/oiaJ5q #giveaway
Giveaway ends 8/18 at 11:59pm CST. Winner will be picked randomly via “And the Winner Is” and have 24 hours to respond via email before it goes into a live giveaway drawing. Giveaway open to USA addresses only.
Disclosure: I was given a gas card in addition to one to giveaway.