Rufus…may he rest in peace

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponShare on Reddit

Rufus

Sadly, Rufus has passed on. The best the veterinarian can guess is that his stomach flipped.  I’d like to share his story with you all, the one we remember him by.

Five and a half years ago, I walked into a pet adoption day at our local pet supply store. We were building our home and I wanted to gift Josh with a dog of his own, one that would be a fabulous family dog too. In the midst of the people and the other animals, I saw a large dog relaxing lazily on the couch. A young boy walked up to him and petted his head. The dog just watched, lifting his head to acknowledge the attention. Based on the dog’s size and calm demeanor, I knew at once he was the dog for us.

We never fully discovered what breed Rufus was – part Mastiff, part German Shepherd, and part something else? But he was the perfect dog for us.  He was never excitable, hardly barked.  He listened to me more than Josh, but also obeyed the children when they told him to go outside.

He lived a very spoiled life here.  With lots of land to run on, he preferred to lay inside on my couch.  He grew to a very stout 165 lbs – mostly from lack of exercise and over indulgence on table foods. I was just trying to devise a way to break him of the habit of taking the plates off the table.

Not even the Kirby salesman was scared of him. He made friends with everyone! I know he will be missed.

Written by:: Annie Shultz

Annie Shultz has written 1930 post in this blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Christina says

Awww :*( I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are such a huge part of our families and so hard to lose. We lost our dog (canine nasal cancer) and cat (vaccine associated cancer and stomach cancer, plus he had renal issues) just a few months apart a year ago. Hugs to you and your family.

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

Thank you Christina. He went so quickly, that I don’t think he endured much pain. I don’t know how I would have handled it if he had to suffer for very long.

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

I have no idea how painful it was for him. He went into shock….but if he was in pain, it wasn’t for very long…..

2. Eileen says

I just saw your tweet post Annie. So sorry your family has to go through this. A dog IS family. I think how hard it is for kids to go through this, but then, they also know how much unconditional love their pet offered and great memories too. Hope that helps them through.

My older kids had to experience the letting go of a pet when we had to move into an apartment so many years ago, and my younger 3 also when we had to move again. But they have not yet had to experience the death of a pet. They are all teens or older now, but I know it will not be any harder on them because they are older. Some kids, like your younger ones, and mine too, have never even REMEMBERED a life without their dog. Our dogs are almost 11 and almost 3. We are sad that our older dog is not well. So sorry you have to experience this Annie. My heart goes out to you all. He looked like one BIG cuddly best friend. What a beautiful boy…

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

Thank you for your kind thoughts Eileen!

Thankfully, my kids did not really bond with Rufus much, so losing him was not as tragic as I feared it would be. My son took it the hardest….2 year old Lucy is too young to really understand…and 5 year old Lizzie had no bond with him at all. She never spoke with him or anything…I really hope that if we do get another pet, I can help her care more for it and bond with it.

I am so sorry for your loss! Animals become family members. I never thought I would have cried as hard and as long as I did when my dog died earlier this year, but dogs are great animals. I hope that you and your family can find comfort knowing you gave Rufus an excellent life!

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

Susan, we loved and cared for him and he really did have a fabulous life here. Thank you for your thoughts.

So sorry to hear that, Annie! I hope the kids are not too upset…There isn’t much to say or do when something like that happens but one thing that makes it all better is to think that he had a wonderful life with wonderful family!

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

Thankfully, the kids are doing pretty good through this. They miss him, but they were not terribly close to him. I think if we did more activities together or played together, they would have been closer to him.

Yes, he lived a very amazing life with us. Even though the kids didn’t really play with him (he was always just laying around) he enjoyed the comfiest and laziest life ever :)

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

Thank you so much Nichol. Time heals all wounds, and we have some amazing memories to keep in our hearts :)

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

It is. I still wait a moment when food drops on the floor, thinking he is going to walk in and snatch it up. It is strange the void he left.

5. mom says

i’m sorry for your loss Annie. He was dearly loved by you and your family. and he will be greatly missed …. he was very very good with the kids. i loved how he let the babies climb all over him and love him up. yes he wil be greatly missed.

6. Sarah G. says

I’m so sorry to hear about Rufus! :( My dog is over 14, and she’s getting old, slow, and deaf. It makes me teary thinking about the time when she won’t be here anymore. Dogs are wonderful friends!

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

wow, 14? That is amazing! We only had Rufus for a very short 5 years. I think he was only 8 years old….a very young dog….which is why we were so shocked that he passed on.

7. Tammy S says

I am so sorry for your loss. A pet is always a member of the family. At least you can take peace in the fact he didn’t suffer for a long time. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

I am very glad he didn’t suffer long. And it comforted me that he loved his home here so much that he came to my bedroom when he wasn’t feeling well. He will be missed.

• Annie @ Mama Dweeb says

Kelly, you are so kind. Thank you for your thoughts! He certainly was well loved. He was only in our family for a very short 5 years, but loved every single day!