Looking for ways to naturally boost your immune system and help your family ward off the winter crud that gets passed around so easily this time of year? If so, this nutrient packed, irresistibly flavorful juice recipe is a must for you to try! I’ve perfected a sweet, smooth, invigorating juice that will have your body revitalized in no time!
Juicing fresh fruits and veggies unlocks incredible nutrients and concentrates them into an irresistible glass of lip licking awesomeness. Though there are some extreme techniques out there of consuming only water and fresh juice for days or even several weeks in order to detox or lose weight, you don’t have to go to these intense measures to enjoy the health benefits and yummy flavors delivered by juicing.
While most people think primarily of vitamin C when it comes to staying healthy and avoiding the doldrums of the cold and flu season, green leafy vegetables are super concentrated in an array of immune boosting benefits, like vitamin B6 which helps with antibody production. Kale is an especially great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, vitamin B6, copper and iron, all of which are beneficial for immune health.
Unlike many fruit-based juices, this recipe avoids being overly sugary by just using one apple while still maintaining a smooth, sweet taste from the special combination of other flavors. For example, ginger and lime help lift the taste to make it sweet and tangy. One note, I do especially prefer to use organic produce for juicing to avoid a concentrated amount of trace chemicals and toxins.
You will need a juicer for this recipe but don’t let that stop you if you don’t have one. Consider borrowing from a friend, trying to find a used one from craigslist or purchasing an affordable model at your local superstore until you decide if investing in a high-quality juicer is the right move for you. Once you try it, you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 medium bunch of celery (or one package of celery hearts)
- 1 Fuji apple (or other bold, sweet and crispy apple of choice)
- ½ of a lime
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup kale
- 1 piece of fresh ginger (about the size of a gum ball)
- Start with fresh, chilled fruits and vegetables.
- Clean and trim the celery.
- Cut, core and slice the apple.
- Rinse the spinach and kale and roughly chop if necessary.
- Cut the ginger to the appropriate size for the recipe and peel if the skin is thick or wilted.
- Process all ingredients in a juicer.
- Use the celery and apple slices to help the leafy greens descend into the juicer if needed.
- If you have a citrus press, you may choose to juice the lime using that and then stir the lime juice into the juice blend, or you can simply peel the lime and send it through the juicer with the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir in a few ice cubes with the finished juice blend and enjoy a revitalizing treat.