DIY Whipped Body Butter Recipe – with essential oils

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter31Pin on Pinterest42.3kShare on Google+7Share on StumbleUpon18Share on Reddit0

DIY Whipped body butter with essential oils

Looking for a special home crafted gift idea? Look no farther! This whipped body butter recipe is irresistibly smooth, incredibly fragrant, ridiculously easy to make and wonderfully healthy for your skin!

DSC_1770 LG

There are a lot of homemade body butter recipes out there, but what sets this one apart is the subtle mint green color from grapeseed oil and my fantastic essential oil blends.

Each of these essential oil blends have therapeutic qualities and rich fragrances. Any essential oil suitable for topical use can be added to this body butter recipe to suit your tastes. Many single oils make wonderful aromas when added to homemade skin care products. You might like to try lavender, peppermint, wild orange, bergamot or patchouli.

Favorite blends

All Is Calm — relaxing & soothing — 20 drops of lavender; 10 drops of vetiver; 5 drops of sandalwood or marjoram
All Is Bright — 20 drops of wild orange; 10 drops lemon; 5 drops of peppermint
Comfort & Joy –– calming & warming — 20 drops of bergamot; 10 drops roman chamomile; 5 drops cassia
Midnight Clear — balancing & grounding — 15 drops of patchouli; 5 drops of cedarwood; 5 drops of ylang ylang
Majestic Splendor —  rejuvenating & transcendent — 20 drops of frankincense; 10 drops of cedarwood; 10 drops of white fir
New Morning — cooling & energizing —  20 drops of grapefruit; 5 drops peppermint; 5 drops wintergreen

Holiday Body Butter

1-3/4 cups shea butter (unrefined is best)
1/2 cup coconut oil (extra virgin is best)
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
essential oils

1. Measure out shea butter and coconut oil (which will be solid at a room temperatures below 76 degrees) and melt over medium-low heat in a double broiler, stirring constantly until there are no lumps left.
  2. Let cool about 30 minutes, then stir in the grapeseed oil and essential oil(s) of your choosing.
  3. Cover the oil mixture and freeze for about 20-30 minutes, or refrigerate for 1-2 hours. You want the mixture to start to solidify but not completely harden, a consistency similar to soft wax or softened butter.
  4. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and whip until soft and fluffy.
  5. Spoon into a clean glass jar and smooth over skin anytime you need extra moisture.

• If the mixture won’t whip or stay whipped, you need to chill it longer.
  • If the mixture has lumps in it after you’ve whipped it, let it set to soften a bit and then try again.
  • Store in a cool area and if your home gets above 75°F regularly, you may want to keep it in the refrigerator.
  • The body butter is designed to melt into your skin as it goes on. It will be a little oily at first but it absorbs quickly and leaves your skin very soft. It is perfect to apply after a shower, letting it soak into your skin before you get dressed.
  • For gift giving, you can use repurposed glass baby food jars or inexpensive, decorative canning jars. Also visit your local craft store for other unique container ideas. Embellish your jars by gluing detailed fabric onto the lid.

**Makes 2.5 to 3 cups whipped body butter

Written by:: Rachel

Rachel Shivers has written 64 post in this blog.

Rachel is a family and infant photographer in Manhattan, Kansas. She enjoys adventuring with her two-year-old son, innovating with fresh ingredients in the kitchen and falling in love all over again with her handsome hubby.

1. Erin says

This sounds great! I especially like anything with coconut oil. I’m just wondering where to buy Shea butter?

• Rachel says

Definitely several months or more. You may want to keep it in the fridge during the summer months if your house is above 75.

2. Meghan says

I made 1 bath and it came out perfect then made a second and it came out a bit more oily/greasy almost. Do you think it’s possible I can re-melt it and add an ingredient to cut down the oily-ness just a little? The second batch actually came out shiny on my skin but I really don’t want to throw it out :/ thanks for any help possible this is a great recipe and gift idea.

3. Candie says

So I’ve tried doing this twice. It’s not rocket science but I’m having some trouble :( the first time I made it, I did not whip it long enough so it wasn’t fluffy. So I’ve tried it again, whipped it longer and it came out perfect EXCEPT it’s too oily!! When I pick it up, it literally just starts to run. I’m not sure if it had to do without the fact that my house was warm. I did put it in the fridge over night. I’m not sure what went wrong. Any suggestions??

4. Cassie says

Recipe sounds delicious! 😀

So I know its rare but for me personally coconut oil dries my skin out. Perhaps it was because i was JUST using coconut oil but just in case could i use jojoba and avocado or something like that??

5. bryan says

thanks for posting! i’d love to make this. I’m thinking ahead to working with the shea butter. i live in a cold climate and it gets to be like a rock. do you know approximately how many grams or ounces 1/34 shea butters would be? i looked at a converter online and it said about 13.5 ounces.. does that sound about right to you? thanks again :)

6. Mimi says

lovely recipe, which of the essential oils u mentioned can be used in pregnancy?
    also where to buy that beautiful glass jar

7. Crystal says

I read the directions incorrectly and only added 1 cup of Shea butter. Now my butter is very oily and keeps sliding off my skin. Is there any way to fix that without making a new batch?

8. Michaela Hatch says

I just made this, but am curious if it the end product is suppose to be so oily? Mine looks whipped but as soon as I touch it becomes an oily mess. Can I do anything to make it thicker and less oily?

there were some interesting question. Where do I find your answers to these questions. I have some of the same questions and I don’t want to be redundant with the questions. Biggest question how can it be fixed if it gets to oily? What can be done to prevent this from happening????