FEBRUARY REFLECTIONS – Streamline Revisited

Share on Facebook2Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0

As March begins, I’m in high hopes of living more effectively. Here’s a glance back at my progress with the February goals I set to Streamline My Home. I found that with fewer toys in our living space, my son actually engaged more with the activities available and it made cleanup much less daunting and predicable since everything had a place. We have also enjoyed my son’s bedtime routine much more now that we have only the essentials in his room. There is more space for creative, relational play, and again it makes keeping the room clean so much easier.

As you can see, by everything “unessential” heaped onto my bed, I had WAY too much stuffed in the changing table.

what a mess.jpg

In addition to having too much stuff, the space was very cramped due to the transition from crib to twin bed. So our changing table was not only disheveled but also very hard to access. I held onto so many items “just in case” I would need them, but seldom did. I decided I would rather make do without these items than to keep an inefficient, cluttered space that was making it hard to find, use and put away the things I need on a multiple-times-a-day basis. I am so pleased with the results.

cleaned up changing table.jpg

It’s hard to imagine we had a changing table squeezed into the space between the foot of the bed and the wall. We very luckily found a narrow bookcase that fit three of the baskets we had been using on the changing table and decided to only keep out cloth diapers and disposable diapers, with a bin at the bottom for socks and two favorite pairs of shoes. The top of the shelf holds wipes and creams. I also took out everything from the closet that could possibly be moved to our basement storage so that I would have a convenient, easy-to-grab space for jackets, a few stuffed animals and some smaller sets of quiet night time toys.

Cleaned closet.jpg

Another area of relative success was streamlining my food storage “tupperware” cabinet. My son so enjoyed helping me clean out the absolutely crammed and disheveled food storage cabinet.

James in the dishes.jpg

I opted the get rid of all things that did not have a matching lid/bottom and even some pieces that I used infrequently or did not go with a set. I bulked up my supply of glass storage containers in my frequent use sizes and purchased a small tub to use for organizing lids. All of these measures helped tremendously with the constant frustration I had at never being able to find suitable, matching containers in a timely manner.

organized cabinet.jpg

Did you streamline in February? If so, comment with your success or challenges and additional spaces to tackle.

Written by:: Rachel

Rachel Shivers has written 60 post in this blog.

Rachel is a family and infant photographer in Manhattan, Kansas. She enjoys adventuring with her two-year-old son, innovating with fresh ingredients in the kitchen and falling in love all over again with her handsome hubby.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

• Rachel says

I know!! It’s almost like you have to do a mini-reorganize a few times a month to keep on top of it, but I always fall behind with that.

Looks great! I always love the idea of organizing, but it’s so hard to get started. There’s a few areas around here that definitely need some order, though.

• Rachel says

I know! That’s why I tried to start small and just focus on specific little areas instead of feeling like I have to organize it ALL!

2. Daisy says

What a cute picture of him pulling out the storage containers! Hehe, reminds me of my little boy. I haven’t streamlined recently, but it is one of my goals for this week since we have a spring break.

• Rachel says

Awesome! Good luck! I find it works best for me when I define small spaces that I can get done in a reasonable amount of time, instead of picking something ambiguous like my “kitchen.”

And I love that my little guy reminds me of yours! So precious aren’t they!

• Rachel says

Just start by picking one small space to do this month! You never know, making small progress may give you inspiration to do more… and if not, at least you have one space that’s more efficient and less bogged down.

Great job! I’m always organizing and reorganizing, so yes I streamlined for February. My family calls it OCD, and get annoyed because I’m constantly changing things.

I have long been thinking I need to get rid of some toys. Sometimes my kids just seem so overwhelmed with them all and then just don’t play with them!

• Rachel says

I know, it’s crazy that with less they actually play more. Maybe it’s because real playing is more of a creative process.

• Rachel says

You are so right. When you get rid of toys or put some away, the kids want to play with others that they now see and are more focused. I need to do this again soon!

We did a major home organization overhaul a couple months ago in preparation for the baby & somehow have managed to keep it clean. We never did get to the Tupperware though & it drives me CRAZY!

Streamlining is a constant battle for us – we’re constantly evolving things in our house – but making a very consious effort to stay on top of it all really has helped – especially since I am back to work full-time and my husband has not magically learned to clean the whole house himself!