It’s the end of the school year, and my kids are getting tired of the same school snacks. I try to spice things up with a variety of fruits and other things, but this twist on the Chex Mix snack is sweet without being too sugary sweet.
An easy school snack – Snickerdoodle Snack Mix – can be made even healthier if you make the cookies yourself and cut back on the brown sugar even a bit more. This recipe only calls for 1/4 cup of brown sugar in the entire batch, but you can get away with less if you want.
I wish I had time to back a fresh batch of cookies, but the Nilla wafers just save me time (and the hassle of a dirty kitchen).
And you know what is a ton of fun? Letting my kids make this with me. Put the wafer cookies in a zip-lock bag and then tell them to each take turns smashing the cookies. (Word of warning: do this over the sink. Otherwise your dog might get an afternoon snack)
Here is the recipe! I hope you enjoy!
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Cinnamon, ground
- 4 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 2 cups Vanilla Wafer Cookies
- ¼ cup Butter, melted
- Remove the Vanilla Wafers from their package, break into large pieces (halves or fourths). Set the bowl of pieces aside.
- Pour the Chex Cereal in a large bowl. In a small bowl, melt the butter. Stir the ground cinnamon into the butter until combined.
- Add the Vanilla Wafers to the Chex Cereal and then pour the butter mixture over the top. Stir to coat the pieces with the butter mixture. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the mix and gently stir in. Serve immediately. Sprinkle extra Cinnamon over the top for even more cinnamon flavor.