Happy Halloween! These little Mickey treats are super simple to make (I don’t have time for anything else) and a really fun way to teach your children about a new culture. My kids don’t normally celebrate Dia de los Muertos, but I do want them to learn about what it is and how others celebrate it.
Plus, these are super close copycats to the treats they serve at Disneyworld/Disneyland!
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 3 tbs salted butter
- 40 marshmallows
- Vanilla frosting
- Hershey’s Kiss candy
- Tootsie roll candy
- M&M’s candy
- Food coloring
- Ziploc bags
– Coat the bottom and sides of an 8×13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
– Melt 3 tbs butter in a large saucepan.
– Add 40 marshmallows and stir constantly until melted.
– Remove from heat.
– Add 6 cups rice krispies cereal to the marshmallow mixture and stir until all the cereal is coated.
– Turn that mixture out into your baking pan and use a piece of wax paper to press the cereal mixture down firmly.
– Allow your treats to cool completely.
– From your pan of rice krispie treats, cut the faces of your Disney sugar skulls. I used a Wilton “Spider Web” cookie cutter to do this but you can easily freehand it.
– Attach two marshmallows with toothpicks to form the ears.
– Frost the top of the rice krispie treat faces.
– Place two M&M eyes on each treat.
– Place a spoonful of frosting into three separate sandwich bags.
– Using your food coloring to tint a bag of frosting pink, green and blue.
– Cut a very small hole from one corner of each of the bags of frosting and pipe onto the ears and eyes as shown.
– Melt your chocolate Hershey’s Kiss inside of a sandwich bag in the microwave. Cut off one corner and use the melted chocolate to pipe the nose and mouth.
– Cut your tootsie roll into three equal sections and form a flower.
– Place one M&M candy in the center of the flower.
– Use your melted chocolate to affix the candy flower onto your sugar skull’s ear.