For parents, it is a nightmare to find out their child is in contact with a stranger. It is not just Facebook, Twitter or Instagram that promote stranger interactions, the dating apps like Tinder are already on top of it.
Tinder is one of the most popular dating apps of today. If you are looking forward to hooking up with someone, this app aids you well. Tinder is not really designed for teens, but people from different demographics are using it to meet new people. Let’s check these demographics:
|Percentage of Tinder Users||Age Group|
|7 percent||13 to 17 year old|
|51 percent||18 to 24 year old|
|32 percent||25 to 32 year old|
|6.5 percent||33 to 44 year old|
|3.5 percent||45 year old and above|
This information clearly states that the app is not meant for teens, but unfortunately, as teens are always looking to try something new, they are readily using it. Your teen can easily enter a false date of birth and create a profile.
Tinder Facts and Statistics
- A Teen Survey on Tinder showed the followed outcomes:
- As per a 16-year-old, every person they know on Tinder has been asked for sex.
- There are some teens who use this app to find other teens who are interested in getting physical.
Why Should Parents Worry?
- The location, pictures and bio of the user are all in one place. This makes it easier for an online predator to target a potential victim via the app
- Tinder has a reputation of finding casual hookups. It is not something recommended to look for long-term relationship or even friendship
- The swiping right and swiping left option on the picture encourages teenagers to treat the app like a game.
- Teenage can become self-criticizing if they start judging themselves on the basis of the swipes and like they receive
Although you can only sign up on Tinder through your Facebook profile and the app authenticates your age from there, but it is easy to create fake Facebook profiles, right? There are lots of other risks. Location tracking and social media sharing features can lead to a number of risks. The app finds someone for you within a 1-mile radius. If you are dealing with an online predator, you are giving them your location through Tinder. It is impossible to know the intention of the person you are meeting through Tinder. Tinder has been termed as the worst app for teens and tweens. What more reasons do you need to believe it’s not safe for your child (Teen or Tween)?
What to do if your Teen is on Tinder?
- First thing is first, if your teen is using Tinder, make them stop.
- Teach your teen to never attempt to meet a stranger who they found online
- Encourage your child to make friends at school, sports leagues or events instead of looking for them online be it using Tinder or any other social app.
Use A Tinder Monitoring App
If you have decided to allow your teen or tween to be on Tinder, you must teach them how to form friendships and long-term relationships. It is important to discuss the physical and emotional dangers of plain hookups.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Is your teen ready to date?
- Do you really want your teen to meet total strangers in your area?
- Do you think your teen knows how to protect their reputation online?
- Have you talked to your teen about the dangers of cyberbullying, fake identities, body shaming and sexting?
If you have satisfactory answers to all these questions, then it is ok for your teen to have a profile on Tinder. But if you are still worried (which you will be), then there is a solution. Xnspy.com can perfectly assist you in this situation. It is a Tinder monitoring app that can help you protect your teen and tween while they are dating online. It would be best to talk to your child about it. Take their consent and install the app in their device. Tell them why you feel it is necessary to monitor their Tinder activity. You can also come up with a treaty of your own that states terms and conditions of monitoring. Make your child understand that you trust them and it is just for the sake of their protection. You as a parent need to know how your teen is using the app, who they are talking to and how they are representing themselves.
With the help of Xnspy, you will be able to view their Tinder chat logs and dating preferences. It will also let you block the Tinder app on your teen’s target device. In case things are going in wrong direction, you can talk to your child and block the app.