If you love rich, moist chocolaty goodness then this decadent cake recipe is for you! The depth and complexity of its flavor will tantalize your taste buds and as an added benefit, this indulgent dessert is completely gluten free and highly nutritious!
When I’m among friends or family with food sensitivities or diet restrictions, instead of making something “special” just for them, I like to create delicious inclusive dishes that are safe and healthy for everyone present. This indulgent cake has such a soft, springy texture no one will guess or believe it is gluten free – you might have to show them the recipe to prove it!
The secrets of the robust flavor and moist texture of this cake lie in the coconut oil, pure cocoa powder, blackstrap molasses, agave nectar and shredded zucchini. This unique combination really makes this daring dessert stand out from your average chocolate cake.
Health benefits of gluten free chocolate cake
Finally, this cake contains absolutely unbelievable health benefits hidden within its creamy goodness. Blackstrap molasses provides iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium and vitamin B6. Coconut oil has many therapeutic effects on health including its ability to support blood sugar regulation, increase the “good” HDL cholesterol in your blood, lower overall cholesterol, increase metabolism and help balance hormones. Agave nectar is a good choice as a sweetener because it contains calcium, potassium and magnesium, while also affecting your blood sugar more moderately than table sugar. The dietary fiber in zucchini helps lower cholesterol while also helping to prevent cancer. In addition, Zucchini provides Vitamins A and C, which are powerful antioxidants, as well as anti-inflammatory agents. The magnesium in zucchini, molasses and agave helps with heart attack and stroke prevention, while the potassium helps lower blood pressure.
You never knew you could benefit so much from eating a simple piece of chocolate cake, did you? Follow the recipe below and enjoy!!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup agave nectar
- ¼ cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups gluten free baking mix (I used Gluten Free Café All Purpose Baking Mix)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pure unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare one 9×13 baking dish by spreading a drop of coconut oil along the surface.
- Beat together the eggs, sugar, agave nectar, molasses and vanilla.
- Sift together the dry ingredients: baking mix, soda, powder, salt and cocoa.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients well. Then, turn in the peeled, shredded zucchini.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Optional: dust cooled cake with cocoa powder or frost with your favorite chocolate frosting.